As a user of this site, you take on certain risks and responsibilities. You also have the right to know how we protect your privacy and confidentiality and what you should expect from us. Baylor Scott & White Health, Canine Companions for Independence® and our third party vendors are responsible for the content, products and services offered on this site.
Your Role, Responsibilities, and Risks
- You need to be an informed user of this site. Please read all our policies in full so you know how our site works and how you will interact with the site.
- Pay special attention to your risks as a user. Web site users open themselves up to certain risks, such as data collection.
- Understand how we collect data and how it is used. It is our goal to protect your personal information from misuse. We may, however, offer programs that collect data for special reasons, such as research, scientific studies, and statistics, in which case you may be interested in participating with consent.
- Be aware that use of this site, its services, programs, and the information on it cannot replace nor is it intended to serve as a health care provider-patient relationship. You must always consult with a professional for diagnosis and treatment for specific health problems.
What You Should Expect
- We will strive to maintain your privacy, confidentiality, and security at all times.
- It is our goal to ensure your trust and confidence by providing you with as much information as we can about data collection procedures and information when needed.
- We will not intentionally use any personal health information without your permission. We do use non-personal health information which we aggregate for research purposes and to improve usability of this site.
- We will notify you accordingly of all data collection practices by posting such practices on this Web site.
- It is our intention to clearly inform you when your risks or privacy may change during the course of using this site.
- It is our goal to make you aware when you leave our site for another, either by telling you in writing or by another technical mechanism.
- We want you to know that this system operates on a secure server. It is our goal to encrypt your personal and professional information and personal health information before it is transmitted. Encryption is a form of scrambling and de-scrambling, an added security feature designed to help prevent unauthorized persons from seeing your information. Although we make every reasonable effort to protect personal information and personal health information from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information via the Internet and that hackers or thieves do find ways to thwart security systems.
- No provider-patient relationship is created unless we specifically notify you that one is created.
- We will not accept or show you information content, sponsored programs, or services that we know to contain false or misleading information or that we know promote ineffective or dangerous products.
Our Security Measures
We want your personal information to remain as secure as possible. We use encryption practices to help protect the integrity and privacy of the personal information and/or personal health information you provide to us. As an added security precaution, all personal information and/or personal health information are kept on servers with firewalls that meet or exceed industry standards to prevent intruders from gaining access. Although we make every reasonable effort to protect personal information and personal health information from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties, you should be aware that there is always some risk involved in transmitting information via the Internet and that hackers or thieves do find ways to thwart security systems. We use 128-bit secured socket layer encryption techniques for sending and receiving data.
About the Information We Collect
We understand that the personal information and personal health information you provide during your visit to our site is highly sensitive and you may have concerns about sharing such information with us. It is our goal to protect your privacy and we strive to develop practices and policies to safeguard your personal and personal health information.
At different places on our site, you may be asked to volunteer your name, e-mail, address and telephone number. We refer to this type of information as “personal information” because it can be used to identify or contact you.
Personal Health Information
When this information is combined with any information on your health or medical status, we refer to this information as “personal health information.”
We often collect information on site use that has nothing to do with you as an individual, only as an anonymous user of the site. We call this information “aggregate information” and use it for purposes such as improving the usability, quality, and functionality of the site. We intend to use the personal information, personal health information, and aggregate information only for the purposes for which it was provided.
Some personal information and personal health information is needed to use this site to provide customized reports and information to you, and we ask that you provide it with the knowledge that it will be used to enhance your experience. This information is kept confidential. We do offer special data collection programs that you can “opt-in” to use. For opt-in programs we provide you, when applicable, with detailed information on:
- Who is collecting the data
- What data are collected
- Why and how the data are transferred to a third party
- How the data are being used
- How long the data are being collected
- Who has access to the data
- How to opt-out of data collection
Your browser software can be set to reject all cookies, including cookies from our site. Most browsers offer instructions on how to reset the browser to reject cookies in the Help section of the toolbar. If you reject our cookie, certain functions and conveniences of the site may not work properly. You do not have to accept our cookie in order to productively use our site. If you accept our cookie, we will never link the cookie to personal information and/or personal health information you provide to us. We will not allow other sites or third parties to use our cookies.
Who Collects the Data
Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions, independently and through third party partners, collect information in different sections of this site. Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions collect most of the data for specific contact emails. Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions are interested in your information for the purposes of operating the site more efficiently, providing you with more efficient and reliable functionality, and for answering your questions and concerns. More information on Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions is available in the About Us section. We provide you here with the identity and contact information for the organizations collecting data on this site.
Baylor Scott & White Health
3500 Gaston Ave.
Dallas, TX 75246
Canine Companions for Independence®
P.O. Box 446
Santa Rosa, CA 95402-0446
Toll Free: 1-800-572-BARK (2275)
Baylor Scott & White Health may retain the data collected on this site for an indefinite period of time.
Where Information Is Collected
We collect information about you at several places throughout the site. You will be informed on how this information is collected at that time. You will also have the ability to opt-in to information collection when you enter the site or use a service. Most information is collected in the following instances:
Complete forms to volunteer, contact Baylor Scott & White and/or Canine Companions and donate to Kinkeade Campus
We offer forms to volunteer and contact Baylor Scott & White and Canine Companions, as well as make donations to Baylor Health Care System Foundation to support the Kinkeade Campus. We will request that you provide your name, email address, credit card number and expiration date, phone number and billing and address. This information will be kept in the strictest confidence. When possible, we will encrypt information for secure transmission over the Internet to maintain the privacy and security of this information at all times.
We may use your information to send you an e-mail to confirm your contact with our site or to respond to questions from you. We may also, from time to time, send e-mails, with your permission, on matters we think may be of interest to you.
How We Use Your Personal Information
We continually seek new ways to maintain your trust as a user and improve our offerings. To provide new and better services, we monitor user traffic patterns and try to analyze what our users like and do not like about our current offerings so we can design better services for you. We may also use certain information for testing purposes, site development and planning, and during the normal course of maintaining the site. When you use our site, you automatically allow us to collect this information related to these uses. In these cases, researchers, business analysts, system designers, and others may have access to the data we collect.
We do not intend to use or disclose any personal information or personal health information you provide on our site to an unrelated third party without your express permission, except as explained in this section.
You should know that there are circumstances when, in the ordinary course of business, we will share some information about you with a related third party :
- As stated elsewhere, we may also share aggregate statistical information on our users, sales, traffic patterns and site usage with our business affiliates and sponsors. There is nothing in this information that could be used to identify or contact you.
- We require vendors to provide specific services, such as data analysis, data storage, email processing, customer service, sweepstakes or special promotions. We ask vendors to adhere to our confidentiality standards and do not permit a vendor to use our customer information for any other purpose. In many of these instances, you will be given the opportunity to opt-in to this collection of information and can opt-out at any time.
- We may share data with business affiliates.
- In certain limited circumstances, we may be legally compelled to release your personal information in response to a court order, subpoena, search warrant, law or regulation. In the event that we are compelled to disclose personal information and/or personal health information to a third party, we will notify you unless doing so would violate the law or court order. We also reserve the right to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in investigating and prosecuting users that violate our rules or engage in behavior that is harmful (or illegal) to other users.
Our Relationship with Third Parties
Linked and Affiliated Sites
We want you to be informed about the Third-Party vendors that appear or function as part of this site. To better serve our users, there are parts of our Web site, such as the Services and content areas, that are operated by a Third Party (“Affiliated Sites”), as well as links from this site to other sites that are operated by Third Parties (“Linked Sites”).
Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions do not make any representations or warranties regarding the accuracy, integrity or quality of “Linked Sites.” Consequently, Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions will not be liable in any way for the Linked Sites, including, without limitation, for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of your use of Linked Sites. You hereby waive any claim against Baylor Scott & White Health and Canine Companions with respect to the Linked Sites. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of the Linked Sites, including, without limitation, any reliance on the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of the material contained in the Linked Sites.
Below we provide you with the name of Affiliated Sites represented on our Site and a brief description of the Services they provide to us. We encourage you to read the disclosure statements of any such organization so that you are aware of any differences from their disclosure statements to our own.
We work with Google to provide you with detailed maps and driving directions.
CyberSource is a partner of Bank of America and processes international donations for Baylor Scott & White Health Foundation and All Saints Health Foundation.
Your Privacy Choices
You have the choice on this site to opt-in to information collected about you in most circumstances, the exceptions being the instances when data are used for site maintenance and other similar activities. If you opt-in to data collection we make every effort to give you detailed information on the program or service you select. To opt-out of data collection, make any changes or updates, or request that information be deleted, you may follow the directions set out below.
Remove or Delete Personal Information
You may remove previously provided personal and/or personal health information at any time by contacting us in writing using the address in our Contact Us link.
Users should be aware that it is not always technically possible to remove or delete the information you provide to us. We back-up our systems to protect information from inadvertent loss, and that means a copy of your personal information may exist in a non-erasable form that may be difficult or impossible for us to locate. Nevertheless, upon receiving your request we will try to remove or delete all personal information and/or personal health information stored in the active databases that we use for research and daily business activities. We will not intentionally disclose any personal information stored in a non-erasable format after receiving your request for removal, except as required by law.
Our Children’s Policy
We strive to comply with the Child Online Protection Act (COPA) and are committed to protecting the privacy of children. Although not designed for children, our site may feature information and services of interest to or for children 13 and under. We require parental or legal guardian consent to collect personally identifiable information on any child under the age of 13 in order to be in compliance with COPA, and will employ an age identification mechanism to prevent children under the age of 13 from entering personally identifiable information on the site where personally identifiable information is collected. When consent is given and we collect personally identifiable information on children under 13, we will not disclose this information to any third party. We may, however, use the information to create aggregate data that may be shared with third parties, but there is no way a child can be identified.
Parents and guardians of minors who permit their children to use our site should be aware that any information volunteered by a child in a chat room, bulletin board, moderated on-line discussion or other public forum on our site could be used by other persons participating or observing activities on the site to contact the child via e-mail or in some other manner. We do not have control over the actions of these third parties and are not responsible for any contacts that may occur. When it is brought to our attention that a user under the age of 13 has volunteered personal information on a chat room or other public forum on our site, we will delete such information from our active databases in accordance to our deletion policy.
To obtain more information on a child’s use of this site, parents or guardians can contact us in writing or via email using the Contact Us form.